Thursday, April 12, 2007


Since Hannah still wasn't feeling too well - and seemed to be getting worse - we took her to the local doctor on the Thursday of our holiday. He, more or less, took one look at Hannah, and sent us straight to Truro Hospital! He thought that it might be appendicitis (we've been there before!), and suggested we hurry.

We arrived at Truro Hospital, and the doctors started to give Hannah a check-over. They took an x-ray, and confirmed that Hannah had pneumonia in her left lung. We felt very guilty that we'd been dragging Hannah around all those gardens while she was coming down with pneumonia - sorry Hannah!

The doctors admitted Hannah into hospital, and then put a drip in her arm, an oxygen mask around her face, and put monitor tabs all over her chest. They took her into the high-dependency unit for the first night, just in case, and Daddy slept next to her on a camp bed.

For Hannah, Mummy and Daddy, the holiday was over. Thankfully, Thomas was still able to enjoy himself and explore Cornwall with Nanny and Grumpy, Uncle Mike, Auntie Jan, James and Bethan. They all looked after him very well, and he was a very good boy for them. Meanwhile, Mummy and Daddy were spending the remaining days in the hospital, and then taking it in turns each night to sleep on the camp bed next to Hannah.

Thankfully, Hannah began to make a very quick recovery - the antibiotics kicked in, but she really didn't like having them dripped into her arm. She was still in a lot of pain when she coughed, and she was hating being in hospital. The worst thing was lack of sleep - she really, really needed a good night's sleep, but hospitals are such noisy places that she wasn't resting very well at all.

The Saturday of the end of our holiday came, and we were hoping that Hannah would be able to be transferred to UWH Cardiff, so that we could all go home. That wasn't to be, though - she was still making a 'grunting' noise when she breathed (especially when doctors came to see her and made her nervous), so they couldn't let her do the journey back to Cardiff. So, Thomas went home in Uncle Mike's minibus, while Mummy and Daddy stayed in parent accommodation at the hospital. Not much fun...

The following day, it was touch and go whether Hannah would be transferred - she was still 'grunting' on the first visit from the doctor, so they gave her an asthma pump to see if that would help control it. The second visit came, and the 'grunting' had stopped - we could go! Yippee! It was a nightmare journey on the way home, and Hannah didn't enjoy it at all, but we arrived at the hospital in Cardiff in time for her next dose of antibiotics, and settled Hannah into her new bed!

The worst thing was that the Cardiff hospital didn't have camping beds for parents - all that we had was a reclining chair next to the bed. Luckily, the hospital was quiet on the Sunday night, so they felt sorry for Ruth and let her sleep in the patient bed next to Hannah! Daddy wasn't so lucky on the Monday night (as the ward had filled up by then), so a good night's sleep wasn't to be found for him!

Thankfully, Hannah was able to be moved onto oral antibiotics, which meant that she was released from hospital on the Tuesday - hooray!!! She was very glad to be home, and was running around the garden not long after she got back!

She's well on her way to making a full recovery, and to see her running around now (in May) you wouldn't have thought that there had ever been anything wrong with her. We do owe her another holiday, though - as she really didn't enjoy much of that one!

So, a sad end to a happy holiday, but it was still a good time away! You can see the rest of our photos from the holiday in our online photo album.

P.S. If you're wondering why this blog post is called minimonia, that's what Hannah has taken to calling her illness - very apt!

1 comment:

Skyfit said...

you story about hospital is details, i work on a hospital bed company(,whenever there is hospital store post, i will read it.